POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Need help with Avi setting! : Re: Need help with Avi setting! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help with Avi setting!
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 7 Sep 2000 17:46:42
Message: <39b80cc2$1@news.povray.org>
In article <39b5478a$1@news.povray.org> , "C.J."
<hou### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> If memory serves me right (always a gamble with me...). A  "Key Frame Rate"
> is a method of creating variable animation speeds in an animation. For
> example, lets you have 3 key frames (A, B, C) and 30 frames. From frame A to
> B you have 20 frames and from B to C you have 10 frames. So when you play If
> the "key frame rate" is 3 key frames a sec, then  animation will play faster
> over A to B, than it will from B to C. Because A-B has more frames to play
> in the same time as B-C...

Nope, your memory is defective, you will have to upgrade ;-)

The key frame rate has nothing to do with the frame rate.  A key frame is
just a complete frame, while the frames following it just describe the
difference based on this frame. The key frame rate just determines how often
a key frame is inserted.

In practical terms: If you have a lot of movement, a high key frame rate can
help (but will increase the data rate, too), while if you have little
movement from one frame to the other a high key frame rate will just reduce
the compression you can reach.  Of course the details are different from one
codec to the next.  Note that some modern codecs can insert key frames
dynamically (and support a dynamic key frame rate, too) and you don't need
to bother setting it at all.

      Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde